2014/01/07

Happy Christmas Mug

Someone in our house might be a Harry Potter fan.  I'm just saying.  So, you can understand why I NEEDED to make this, for so many reasons.


I have never done a oil based Sharpie mug before and I am not very good at it.  After several attempts to draw it free hand I ended up making a pattern.


My cute .99 store mug.  I opted for one that was slightly square.


Here is the Sharpie.  It HAS to be oil based.  You can find them at any craft store.  I bought a multi pack but the green was lime color and I ended up buying a single dark green as well.


I cleaned it off and restarted a couple times but here is the tree outline.


I ran into a problem.  Well, two problems.  First my black Sharpie wasn't fine tipped enough so I couldn't do a Hallows for the As and two the yellow was not as dark as I wanted it.  So I had to go get another pen that was finer for the black. But I was too cheap to get another yellow too.


After you get it colored in put your mug into the oven on a baking sheet and THEN set it to 250 degrees and when it comes to temp set a timer for 25-30 minutes.  After the timer goes off, turn off the oven but leave your mug in there until they both cool down.  Tada! My handwriting is pretty atrocious and at the end I realized that my Christmas was a little off center but I wasn't about to erase it again.  I have washed mine pretty aggressively but I haven't tried the dishwasher yet.

Price Breakdown:
Mug: $1.00
Multi pack of oil based paint pens: $2.99 with 50% off coupon
2 additional pen singles: $1.75 each with 50% off coupons
Total: $7.50


No comments: