2012/10/25

I Thought You Might Call

I have watched/read MANY villains.  I like them you see.  I like to figure out why they do what they do.  How they got to be so evil.  It had to be something traumatic right?  Something horrible happened to them to twist them into what they have become.  I think if I could figure out why, then I could more accurately place blame for their evil ways.  Someone has to be to blame.  Someone other than them.  They have obviously lost control, snapped.
I guess I don't want to believe people can inherently be bad.  That bad is naturally where they lean.  I want to believe that people are born neutral and that something influences them one way or the other.  Maybe I secretly want them to be bad but then change their ways, making the hero invalid.  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for a good Snape story.  I find myself holding out to see what the villain will do.  Maybe they will turn out to be the hero.
But, maybe not.  Maybe they will be such a kick a#$ villain that you think about switching sides and laugh as they kill everyone.  I had this experience while watching this guy (Andrew Scott) in the new Sherlock series.



He doesn't look so scary right?  Well, I will just tell you, he is AMAZING!  I have been watching BBC stuff, until the characters annoy me and then switching shows to kill time lately, because I don't have any good shows since Netflix stopped streaming Stargate :(  Sherlock was next on the 'you might be interested in' list on Netflix so I gave it a try.  I have really mixed feelings about it but overall I like all the supporting characters better the Holmes himself.  It's a pity too since he is one of the more interesting characters you might come across.  Plus he is SUPER weird looking but that is a whole other blog post.  
Back to Andrew.  This guy totally blew me away!  From the second he came on screen I couldn't look away.  It was totally captivating.  I even watched just his introductory evil scene over again tonight just for fun.  Twice.  The pure grit and emotion in his portrayal of Holmes' nemesis is astounding.  I really haven't seen many actors like him and none I can name directly right now.  He totally had me on his side.  Insanely brilliant.  
...I gave you my number...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know what you have to say about the end of the second season. --Matthew

Megan said...

I haven't gotten there yet and to be honest I think I already know the ending. I am slightly disappointed about how short the seasons are so i have been watching them slowly.