2011/10/07

Tomato, Boxed Velveeta Dinner?

When someone asks me what they can save money on couponing I always tell them the same thing. Not healthy food. Personal care items will be raining from the sky. I have the more razors, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, lotion, body wash, you name I have more of it then cabinet space.
Let me clarify a bit. By healthy food I mean something that is not processed, carb heavy, boxed food. I can get a ton of "Whole Grain" stuff. When I want healthy, I want low calorie. There might be a random produce coupon every once in a blue moon but not enough.
I am so sick of these coupon websites trying to get me to buy Velveeta boxed dinners just because they are free. YAY! Free Fat!!! Who wouldn't want that? Um, me and my hips. Why can't I get a a free box of tomatoes?!
Now my coupon sites are going crazy because there is cheap Great Grains Post cereal on sale this week. Still not healthy. That stuff is not only high in calories but loaded with sugar. Well, more sugar then something deemed "healthy" should be. It is so infuriating!!! Just because it says whole grain on it doesn't make it good for you!!!!! Otherwise my idea of "Whole Grain Cheese" would have really taken off.

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Love this post. :)

Matthew said...

I wonder if this is because produce prices are so volatile. Harder for companies to know how to price and discount for a promotional campaign like that. The only sales I am really aware of are in the grocery store circulars, and usually aren't all that fantastic...

Terra said...

You crack me up:)
"Whole Grain Cheese"

Marianne said...

I really must say that this is my main complaint about the whole couponing thing. I like the idea of getting diapers and personal care stuff - or household items - for cheap or free ('cause sometimes you just hate spending money on it!), but I only need so much of that, and really, if one of my goals in life (which I haven't really made progress on, it just remains a goal) is to get myself and my family to eat whole foods, coupons don't help. (I sometimes with eating "whole foods" was really just a logical choice you could make, not one fraught with emotional issues. Haha!)

Christopher Harris said...

You might want to check out bountiful baskets (www.bountifulbaskets.org) it's a produce co-op that has some amazing deals. it looks like they have a few locations between denton and dallas