2016/07/12

Why I Run

Everyone runs for a reason.

I chuckle/gag when I run past a girl with perfume, matching workout outfit and earrings with her hair all fixed or a guy soaked in cologne.  What the heck are you doing out here!?  Leave the people who are sucking in air for all they are worth in peace so we don't have to choke on your fumes.
I get annoyed when a guy riding past on his bike slows down and takes off his sunglasses to make it even more obvious that he is looking me up and down.  Or the older ladies who give me judgemental looks.  No, I'm not wearing these compression shorts for attention.  I don't want to be stared at.  I wear them to avoid chafing.   Isn't that sexy?
I'm not running to fit into some cute outfit, or impress someone. It's hard and I'll be honest, I don't care enough about either of those things to really stick with it. I figure that's why I don't see many of those gussied up girls/guys out for a second run later on.  They figured out there were easier ways to get what they were running for.


The thing I run for is a constantly moving target.  No matter how fast I run or how far, the target keeps moving.  I run to be strong.  Not just regular strong.  I run to be strong enough to do this:

(Isa was making faces in all the other ones so I figured she'd rather have the back of her head;))

Strong enough to pick her up when she can no longer carry herself.  That amount of strength is constantly going up as she grows.  Eventually I wont be able to do it. I've had to add more variety than just running to help my muscles keep up.  But while I can I will.  I want her to play outside, go to the beach, see the view from the top of a mountain, and a million things other kids can just go do without a second thought.  All these things are hard for her and even if she tries she will get tired quickly and need help to reach her goals. It's motivating and heartbreaking all at once. 

So creepy sunglasses guy and little old lady can suck it.  I have my reason.


No comments: