2005/09/26

Get Out Of My Freakin' Way!

I have been a licensed driver for 8 years now and there is something that I recently noticed about certain other drivers on the eh road. Something I like to call "comfort speed". My theory, which I think hold especially true in Boone, is this. There is a certain speed that drivers feel comfortable driving. They cannot mentally make themselves go faster than said speed unless they were gong to die and even then they would probably just freak out and stop. This can be very annoying when the speed limit is say, 45 but the person in front of you has a maximum speed of 35. I wonder if they even know what the speed limit is or if they just hang out around 30-35 and hope they are going the speed limit. Can they not see the sign? Or is it that they just don't care? Either way these people should be pulled over and have their license taken away for obstructing traffic.

another one of my driving favorites are those people who forget they are driving. You know what I am talking about. You are behind someone and they gradually start to slow down. But, as soon as you start to pass them they go "oh, crap I'm driving" and then speed back up. This one particularly bothers josh since he is a big cruise control user.

I try not to hate anyone but most of my close friends and family know I hate stupid people. Not people who have real learning disabilities but those people who think there is nothing going on around them. It is like thy forget there are other people in the world try to go places or do things. Which is why when I run into these forgetful or comfort drivers I want to rear end them right off the road in to a ditch and dope that evolution is really true.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we were back in the States, MA's mother pulled on to the freeway at about 40MPH. Then, when a huge truck went barreling past her. She gasped and said: "People shouldn't go any faster than they feel comfortable with."

Mary Ann and I turned and looked at each other with a gaze that spoke volumes.

I made some comment or other to her mother, but it didn't do any good.

Anonymous said...

Were you driving behind me again? I think that license plates should be color coded for that very purpose, then I could get by with going 65 all the time and the Boone police would not pull me over for speeding. The slow drivers could be kept on the slow side streets and the fast drivers could have the main roads. What fun that would be! Dad

Terra said...

an update?! be still my heart!
In Utah it was bad- one day when Brother mauss was in the middle of telling marcus that if he just left a little sooner so he wasn't so rushed and then he wouldn't get frustrated with the other drivers... the driver in front of them stoped in the middle of the road and started staring at a restraunt.
Or the people on campus that just fling themselves into traffic with out looking to see if a car is comming (no that wasn't me- I looked both ways and I had the right of way- the car that hit me turned on the road and hit me.)
I also can't stand it when I am going the 5 above the speed limit and someone rides my tail like I'm inching along.
in thos cases I sometimes try and box them in. - because I'm a mean person.

Anonymous said...

Spousal telepathy, I guess. The first person I thought of while reading your post was my dear mother . . . you described her perfectly.

I have to say, though, that one of my fantasies is to own an incredibly powerful performance vehicle--like a ferrari--and deliberately drive it around at 5mph below the speed limit. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

Megan said...

hehe. i think stupid drivers are something everyone could relate to. i'm dredding the day when isabella yells out "GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU IDIOT!!!"

Jason Heilpern said...

It is sad but the is currently no "legal" cure for stupidity..."yet"!!!

Anonymous said...

i hate the idiots that dont know how to merge. they think that they're helping people out by just coming to a slow stop on the ramp. dont they know that that's what could kill someone? on the intersections where if you make a right turn you get to yield and enter into a right lane that is made just for you. can you picture that type of intersection? i come through one on the way home everyday and theres always some idiot that has to stop and check to see if anything's coming. just enjoy it idiot, that is your own personal lane. nobody's going to come and hit you and try to steal it from you, dont ruin it for everyone. and the ramps on interstates are called acceleration ramps for a reason. pointing back and forth and flashing your lights at the car to your side doesnt help anybody, just put your car on the lane that you want to be on. its not hard.

Grandpa Harris said...

Quentin mentioned, or alluded to, one of my pet peeves: polite drivers who try to give me some right I don't legally have. Y'know the type, they have the right of way, yet they slow down, smile and wave you on. Just get out of the way!!! Do what everyone else expects you to do! You're going to get someone killed!!!

Melissa said...

Bonnie,

I call those the good samaritan drivers. They are the same people who stop traffic to let someone turn on to the street when they would only have to wait for 2 or 3 more cars before they have all the space in the world.

Megan said...

just so there is not confusion. bonnie is my mother and bennie is my father-in-law.

bohica said...

I also hate stupid people. Drivers especially. We are coming into the fall season of leaf watchers and they are the worst of all. I am going to mount a rocket launcher on the roof of my van to help clear the road.

Josh said...

of course we all hate stupid people. good thing none of us are stupid.